And by friends, I’m referring to the Friends of the Lansing Community Library (FotLCL for short), a nonprofit organization that is member supported and advocates, fundraises and provides critical support for my local library, the Lansing Community Library (LCL for short). Their mission, which you can choose to accept as well, is to support LCL in providing free and equal access to information for all citizens through donations of time, talent and resources.
Programs underwritten by FotLCL include (but by no means are they limited to just these few):
- Summer and Winter Reading Programs
- Spooky Center craft supplies
- Public access computers
- Prizes for contests and games, like the upcoming annual Lego and the Gingerbread House contests
- Preschool and Kindergarten Reading Programs
- Kansas Reads to Preschoolers Week
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten
- Remodeling and Improvements to LCL Facilities
- Circulation Desk
- Study Room
- Child-friendly Furniture
And if you’re like me and love volunteering, as a FotLCL member you can lend your time and talents by
- Helping with special programs
- Helping with the newsletter
- Helping with fundraising activities
- Sponsoring programs
- Volunteering in the library
In addition to your membership dues or donation, you can also connect your Dillons reward card to the FotLCL via the Community Rewards section of your Dillons account. Don’t worry! You won’t sacrifice your fuel points by linking your Dillons card to nonprofit like FotLCL.
From the Dillons Community Rewards web site:
Giving More Back to the Community!
Dillons is committed to helping our communities grow and prosper. Year after year, local schools, churches and other nonprofit organizations will earn millions of dollars through Dillons Community Rewards.
Dillons Community Rewards® makes fundraising easy…all you have to do is shop at Dillons and swipe your rewards Card!
There is no cost to enroll, and enrollment will not affect your fuel points or coupon discounts.
Here’s a quick step-by-step how-to on enrolling in the Dillons Community Rewards program (you can only do this from a browser, this feature is not yet available in the Dillons smartphone app):
- Access the Dillons website via this link: https://www.dillons.com/
- Click on the Welcome! Sign In link in the upper right-hand section of the web page (located on the menu bar at the time of this post)
- Sign in using your login and password. If you have not created a Dillons account, you can do so by clicking on the “Create an account” link at the bottom of the Sign In page.
- Access your My Account section by click on the “Welcome <your name here>” link on the menu bar (same location you clicked on to login in step 2 above).
- Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the Account Summary page to the Community Rewards section. Click on the Enroll button.
- In the search box, type “lansing” and press enter or click the Search button.
- Select the Friends of the Lansing Community Library and click the Enroll button.
- Sign out of the Dillons website.